Children's Assessment & Preschool Services (CAPS)
Public Law 105-17, IDEA Amendment, requires that all public school systems provide a free and appropriate public education for 3, 4, and 5 year old children with disabilities who meet the eligibility guidelines included in the Georgia Department of Education rules and regulations. Special education services are available to any preschool age child who meets eligibility requirements and resides in Whitfield County. Section 619 of Part B of the IDEA,the federal regulation for special education and related services for children ages three to five, can be viewed on the Georgia Department of Education web site http://www.gadoe.org/ci_exceptional.aspx
Who should be referred?
Any child residing in Whitfield County between the ages of 3-5 years old, and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, who has significant delays in development and/or has a diagnosed disability or medical condition which is significantly affecting the child's development.
What Type of Services are Available?
- A screening to identify potential developmental and educational concerns.
- A comprehensive diagnostic evaluation that may include psychological, social, behavioral, speech and language, and developmental/educational assessments.
- If the child meets eligibility for special education services, an Individual Education Plan (IEP) will be developed, and special education services will be provided.
- Based on eligibility and the needs of the child, related services may also be recommended, including speech therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, and special transportation.
- These services are available at no cost to the parent/guardian.
How Do I Make a Request for Support?
- To request a referral for an observation/screening and/or intervention support, please print and complete the Referral Form English/Spanish, submit an ONLINE REFERRAL , or contact the Preschool Special Education Department at (706) 259-6136.
How Does the Process Work?
- Referral Process
- Observation, Screening, Intervention, and Evaluation Process
- Babies Can't Wait Referral Procedures
Childcare Agency/Teacher Resources
- Online Referral Form
- Preschool Intervention Form
- Preschool Behavior Log
- Speech Sounds Developmental Norms
- Articulation Screening
Developmental Checklists for Parents and Teachers
- Please contact the Children's Assessment & Preschool Services (CAPS) Center at (706) 259-6136 or email email@example.com