ACCESS for English Language Learners (ELLs) 2.0
ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 is administered, once a year, to all English learners in Georgia. ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 is a standards-based, criterion referenced English language proficiency test designed to measure English learners’ social and academic proficiency in English. It assesses social and instructional English as well as the language associated with language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies within the school context across the four language domains. ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 meets the federal requirements that mandates require states to evaluate EL students in grades K through 12 on their progress in learning to speak English.
ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 is used to determine the English language proficiency levels and progress of ELs in the domains of speaking, listening, reading, and writing. ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 serves five main purposes.
- determining the English language proficiency level of students;
- providing districts with information that will help them evaluate the effectiveness of their ESOL programs;
- providing information that enhances instruction and learning in programs for English language learners;
- assessing annual English language proficiency gains using a standards-based assessment instrument;
- providing data for meeting federal and state requirements with respect to student assessment.
For more information visit the Georgia Department of Education. Public Test Resources
- The Test Demo is a series of videos that explain how students will take the online test and interact with the test platform.
- The Sample Items provide students, parents, and educators with a better understanding of the ACCESS for ELLs Online assessment that is based on the WIDA English Language Development (ELD) Standards. These are not items that will appear on the operational test, but they provide a close proximity to the items that students will see on the test. To access and view the Sample Items, a Chrome browser must be used.
- The Test Practice items are designed to allow students to experience taking the assessment online and to experiment with the features available to them during the actual assessment. The above link provides access to the Test Practice items for ACCESS for ELLs Online and WIDA Screener Online. To access and view the Test Practice Items, a Chrome browser must be used.
Alternate ACCESS for ELLs
Alternate ACCESS for ELLs is a recently developed, individually administered test. It is intended only for English learners with significant cognitive disabilities that are severe enough to prevent meaningful participation in the ACCESS for ELLs assessment. Alternate ACCESS for ELLs is not intended for ELs who can be served with special education accommodations on ACCESS for ELLs. Decisions regarding a student's participation must be made by an IEP team.
- The student has been classified as an English Learner.
- The student has been classified as a special education student and is receiving special education services.
- The student has a significant cognitive disability.
- The student participates in the Georgia Alternate Assessment (GAA).
For more information visit the Georgia Department of Education.